Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Deal of the century.......

  1. #1
    Inactive Member RacerXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2006
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ever come across a deal on some speakers or equipment that was just too good to be true?

    I've had my share of Altec Lansing and JBL speakers over the years, but what happened yesterday blew my mind.

    My ex-wife called. Haven't heard from her in 2 years, but we're on pretty good terms
    and get along fine. She asked me if I wanted my old Magnepan MG-1 speakers back.
    They didn't fit her decor anymore and have been sitting in a closet for years.

    She said I could have them for 20 bucks.

    Yes..........20 bucks.

    She said the tweeters didn't work. (Probably didn't notice the blown 1.5 amp fuse on the back panel). I raced out of work as soon as I could before she could change her mind. Drove over to her house and loaded them up. Then I realized I forgot to stop at the ATM machine and grab some cash. My wife stole two 20's out of my wallet the night before and left me with only........... 17 bucks. I asked her if I could just owe her the 3 bucks, but she said don't worry about it...

    Brought them home, oiled the wood and replaced the fuses..........and they work excellent.

    That's two Maggie MG1's for $17.00

    And she threw in 10 bucks worth of speaker wire and connectors.......

    I'm aware of the strong and weak points of Magnepan speakers, and yes I realize this is an Altec Lansing board.

    But those Maggies are BY FAR the best sounding 17 dollar pair of speakers I've ever owned.


    Anyone got a "deal of the century" story w/ Altec stuff ?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I recently picked up a pair of model 14's for $90.00, refoamed them for $160.00 = $250 total
    Not as exciting as your deal, but I'm happy with them, I was quite amazed at how good they sound, they actually sound better than my 19's in the size room I have them in.
    I payed $500. for my 19's forums

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    230
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I traded a single JBL 2225 for almost complete Altec A7s (515B, 825 cabinet, 511B horn, and 501 Xover -- no drivers)


    I had about $65 in the jbl

  4. #4
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was able to hook up a friend with a pair of 802/803 Corona's for $200 through the kindness of someone wanting to find a home for them.

    Dave

  5. #5
    Junior Hostboard Member conductor's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Got a near perfect pair of Altec model 19's for $450 at a D.A.V. thrift store.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I paid 90 bucks for a pair of 604-8G's, and bought a brand new spare driver for them (yea, the entire woofer/tweeter assembly) for 15 bucks at the same auction.

    I also paid 20 bucks for a huge JBL W bin, then sold it for 200 the next day.

    I sold the new in box 604 quite a while back for 700, but wish I had it now to make a 3 channel setup for the home theater. However, I have never hooked up the 604's beyond a quick check to make sure they work, and they work great! Someday I'll put them to good use. In the meantime, I use my $300 pair of model 14s.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member stpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    70
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A JBL 375 driver for $3.00!
    I worked for a large company that had employee sales occasionally. Mostly just junk. Sometime in its life this driver got oversprayed with flat black paint on the rear, obscuring the label. But I saw 375 thru the paint. (Which cleaned off easily). The red seals were undisturbed and the diaphragm was good. An old timer employee told me one of the buildings on the property was used as a recording studio in the mid-sixties for a couple of years. I suspect this is where it came from.

    stpower

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good deals....
    Years ago there used to be a thrift store I frequented,,,I got to know the guy who repaired computers and TV's. He'd pitch me alot of the old audio stuff that came his way. Got a Pioneer SX 1250 for 10 dollars, a Sansui 919 tuner for 20. Not to mention the Altec 755A in the small black box from a ceiling fixture for $15.

    There was lots more too...but alas... those days are long gone.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member intotubes's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2006
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got a pair of Altec Carmel's (like 9844 monitors only home style) for $5!. Got 'em at a local auction house.
    I couldn't believe it either. Sound great. Inside they are like brand new. They were my intro to Altec. I am hooked for life now.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member chopsrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RacerXX:
    She asked me if I wanted my old Magnepan MG-1 speakers back.

    But those Maggies are BY FAR the best sounding 17 dollar pair of speakers I've ever owned.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Would this really be considered a deal since you are the one who originally bought them to begin with?

    Sounds to me like you just spent an extra 17 bucks on a pair of MG-1s.

    Now in my case, my father just completely lost interest in audio and left his MINT 1979 Klipsch Cornwalls here. He said I could either use them or sell them. What do you think I did?

    Hint: Take a look at my signature! forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.